[New Zealand 2013 Trip Report] Day 1: Auckland


15 hours to Taipei, 2 hours to Hong Kong, and 10 hours to Auckland. I was going away to a far, far away land! Having had the painful jetlag experience in Antwerp on my last trip, I decided to take it easy at our first stop, Auckland.


Itinerary of the day: Toronto → Taipei (1 day layover) → Hong Kong (transfer) → Auckland  → Depot Oyster Bar and Eatery → Kelly Tarlton's SEA LIFE Aquarium


After working at the same job for a really long time, I finally had enough paid vacation to afford doing two overseas trip in one year. New Zealand was my last destination to cross off my travel short list (there is a longer list, mind you). I was made fun by my friend about "traveling halfway around the world to go to another Canada", but they were so wrong.

My travel companions this time around were my parents. They weren't impressed by the idea of New Zealand at first, but after the trip they were both won over!

Out of this month-long vacation, I spent about a week in Taiwan, including a one day layover in Taipei on the way to NZ. Since most of my time spent in Taiwan consists of eating, sleeping and being a useless slob, this trip report would mostly focus on New Zealand.



The first leg of flight was me taking EVA Air from Toronto to Taipei. I didn't take the Hello Kitty plane, as this is a Taiwan-Japan route exclusive, but it was the first time I saw one!



EVA Air's services were always amazing, as in, they actually treated me like a paying customer. The seats were comfortable, and food were very good, which made a 15 hour flight seemed like nothing.



An older Canadian lady from Brampton, Ontario was sitting beside me, and I recommended her to choose the congee option for breakfast. She didn't know how to eat the fish floss (in blue package), but really liked it once she tried! She was on her way to Taiwan for a teaching job, and we had a great conversation about our past travel and life experiences!




After a day of rest in Taipei, I met up with my parents there and took a Cathay Pacific flight to Auckland, with a stopover in Hong Kong.



The last time I was in Hong Kong, it was still Kai Tak and the Hong Kong airport didn't exist!


The Taipei-HK segment was short, but we still got served fried rice and tea. The tea was made in China, and tasted really gross so I only took one sip.


The HK-Auckland segment served much better food. The plane-sized Häagen-Dazs was the dream of a traveler!

Cathay Pacific had very new entertainment system with HD screen and easy navigation. That were their pro's. Cons? Online check-in system was horrible. I had to insert A LOT of passenger information, and repeat the process three times for every passenger. Even worse when I had to do this on mobile!

10 hours later, we arrived in Auckland. I booked a taxi transfer to take us to our hotel, and the taxi company said clearing customs should take 15 minutes. 

15 minutes? More like 1.5 hours! We weren't in a hurry or anything but nobody wanted to wait that long for customs! The line was moving at a very slow pace. When it was finally our turn, the officer asked me a couple of questions, which was not unreasonable, but some were really not that relevant. For examples: 

"Where did you learn your English? Korea?" 
"Canada? So it must be cold?"

So both stereotypes of "Kiwis work slow" and "Kiwis are over the top friendly" were both validated upon landing in New Zealand.

After the passport check, there was another luggage check, fully equipped with x-ray machines and beagles. New Zealand's food and environmental import policy was more or less similar to Canada's, except they were even more strict on dirts and seeds. Anyone with outdoor equipments (camping gear, boots etcs) had to declare them.

Despite the tedious landing process, Auckland airport redeemed itself to us with its perks. There was a Maori inspired door frame welcoming visitors...



A Smaug plane (the plane in front is Fiji Airways)...


...and dwarf sculptures! We were in luck to see these Hobbit-themed installations because the second movie was just about to be premiered!



Since we took so long to clear customs, the taxi I booked already left. We ended up hiring Super Shuttle at the airport i-Site (tourist information). New Zealand is a country with a fully developed tourism industry, and we were pretty much able to find i-Sites just about anywhere.

I was glad that I didn't plan much activities on the first day, because the transfer into Auckland downtown took way longer than expected. 1.5 hours instead of the 30-45 minutes. Three hours after landing, we finally checked-in at Waldorf Celestion.




We were very happy with our 2-bedroom apartment. Spacious, clean, and quiet, just what we needed for a good night's sleep. The only downside was the lack of free wi-fi, but that was impossible to find in downtown Auckland accommodations. Most places we stayed at had very limited wi-fi (usually 50MB~200MB), even the airport has pretty pathetic internet connection. Just something to get used to in NZ!

Didn't care for the balcony. Rangitoto Island could be seen, but still not so much of a view.


After some rest, we head out for lunch at Depot Oyster Bar and Eatery. Saw the CN Tower Sky Tower next to it, which we planned to visit on our last day.


Auckland was not an easy city to walk in, as it is a hilly city built on 53 volcanoes. Two points that look close on a map would take a lot more effort and time than expected. The hilly terrain and odd streets also made for some detours along the way.

I am so horrible with accents, I had trouble understanding the waitress, and continued to be so in the next few days.

Evidently by the name of this restaurant, we were here for the oysters. Not that Canada doesn't have oysters, but the point is to have local varieties around the world.




The oysters were beaaaaaautiful. Even long after the trip was done my dad and I are still fantasizing about these beauties. They tasted like ocean. Not overly alkaline, so the lemon or the vinaigrette were not even necessary.

If my love for shellfish is not yet obvious from the Italy trip reports, here it is again. We ordered the "Squid ink linguine & 'Cloudy Bay' clams with hand-cut pasta. There were too many local species of clams in NZ to try. The clams were amazing but the chorizo in this dish made everything a tad bit too salty. Overall I would recommend this restaurant, if not just for the oysters.


Next stop was Kelly Tarlton Aquarium, located at "Mission Bay", 7km from downtown. The aquarium provided free shuttle that departs from the wharf area, but only one on each hour.

At first we didn't want to wait for the shuttle, so we walked around for 20 minutes trying to find a bus stop with no avail. I looked it up in Google Maps beforehand but the bus stop was simply not there. The bus route map was not helpful, and neither were the locals (some guy told me we can walk to Mission bay in 10 minutes, idk maybe he was a troll). We gave up and returned to the shuttle stop.

The shark bus finally came about.



The aquarium was divided into several sections. One section was the Antarctic Ice Adventure and Scott Base, with some info on the expeditions of Captain Robert Falcon Scott.


The penguin exhibition was the highlight of the aquarium. This aquarium had two species, the King and Gentoo. The penguins were very active and they did seem to respond to humans.


The King penguins tend to cluster together and not move very much. December was nesting season for many birds, but judging from the molting adolescent in the picture, seemed like the Kings were near the end of theirs.


The Gentoos however, were still well within their nesting period. Note the hatchling at the foot of their parent.

It was also a highlight to see the Gentoo's life of crime, a behaviour that was also featured in BBC's Frozen Planet (except carried out by an Adelie). A male was stealing stone pebbles from another nest to build his own!



I wanted to see the preserved colossal squid in Wellington, but the city was too out of the way. This one would have to do.


The whole aquarium was underground, and a view of Auckland from water level could be seen from the aquarium cafe.



We spent the majority of our time in the penguin exhibit, and went through the rest of the aquarium fairly quickly. The other tanks were nice, but nothing that we hadn't seen before.



A tank with a disturbingly number of clownfish.


The underwater conveyor belt through a shark tank. There were also sea turtles.


Really big hermit crab?


Sea dragons


The aquarium could be done in 1-2 hours, and we had no problem catching a return shuttle. It was worth the visit because this was my first time seeing a live King penguin or a Gentoo penguin, but it wasn't really on par with other world-class aquariums I had been to. I was glad to have found a good deal on GrabOne!

Near the shuttle bus drop-off point, there was a "Manuka Doctor" shop that sold a wide variety of manuka honey products. The honey is made by bees that harvest the manuka flower (a type of tea tree native to New Zealand and SE Australia), which is known to have antibacterial effects. I ate Manuka honey cough drops during the trip when I felt like I was about to get sick, and successful ward off the cold. It has a faint minty taste, but the best part about it is that it still taste very good. If honey isn't so heavy I would have bought 10 jars all for myself as souvenirs (do keep in mind there are many counterfeit products so stick to reputable brands)!



One block next to it was Movenpick, an ice cream brand of Swiss origin (Nestle). It had very high ratings on Tripadvisor and also seemed to be well known around the world, so we gave it a try. 


The ice cream in NZ were very milky and creamy, which was to be expected considering the dairy industry of the country. A different type of deliciousness in comparison to gelato. Movenpick was no exception, although for the price, I think I prefer the nameless, farm-produced ice cream I bought at random fruit stalls, which I would show in later trip reports.


We would have gone to the Auckland Museum today, but it closed at 5pm and we were dead tired anyway. We spent the rest of the day grocery shopping.

There were four major chain supermarkets in NZ: Countdown, Pak'nSave, New World, and Four Square. We were lucky enough to visit all of them throughout the trip.


Countdown was my favourite because they had my WALL OF WHITTAKER'S CHOCOLATE! This is NZ's local brand, and I love it! Forget about Cadbury, get a giant slab of Whittaker's for 2.99 NZD!


Many travelers recommend the kiwi flavour because it's kiwi, but I personally recommend peanut butter and macadamia block. The peanut butter tasted like the manufacturer actually used peanut butter from a jar, unlike that fake stuff in Reese's! 

Self-serve cooking was the norm of traveling in New Zealand. Almost every motel had a kitchen with basic condiments, cookware and utensils. In some small towns, dine-out options were not that exciting, and it was much more rewarding to cook our own meals. Cooking not only saved us a lot of money (our food budget was half of what I allocated), we were able to enjoy locally grown NZ ingredients. For this reason, not every meal would be mentioned in this trip report, as sometimes we just had a sandwich or similar dinners for two or three days straight.


As with Canada, I found New Zealand whites to be a better bet, when we were simply taking a guess among the wide selection of wine. Mission Estate Late Harvest 2013 was the best bottle we bought during the trip, but couldn't find it again.

NZ might not had much of a cuisine, but it was all about the produce! Vegetable and fruits were so sweet! Beautifully cut meats, and fresh greenlip mussels were always on sale! Everything was local, hence the better taste. If only it would be this easy to eat locally where I live! The most exciting food experience of this trip didn't come from a restaurant, but from meals we cooked ourselves.

With the help of wine and fatique, we slept promptly at 8pm sharp. Tomorrow was going to be a full day.